Sunday, January 11, 2009

Splish, splash

I've wanted to try photographing water splashes for some time now so I figured today would be as good a day as any to do it. Plus, I went to the Action/Abstraction exhibit at the St. Louis Art Museum this morning - which featured works by Jackson Pollock, Willem de Kooning and other abstract expressionists - and I got all splashy-inspired!

I set up my shot in our kitchen where we have a north-facing window that lets in some nice, softer light throughout the day - thankfully today it is sunny outside so the light was stronger than it has been lately. Unfortunately, there wasn't quite enough light, given the faster shutter speed I needed to use to freeze the splashes the way I wanted to, and I had to set my ISO at 1600, creating quite a bit of noise in the photo. To create the splashes, Miriam dropped frozen peas into the bowl of water from about 18-24 inches up.

I think I'd like to try this again sometime. Next time, I'll either set up outside or use some lights, and I think I should also use something heavier to create bigger splashes... Maybe a strawberry or cherries... Miriam suggested an apple. :)

Manual setting with manual focus: f/4.5, 1/400, ISO 1600

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! I want to try this some time, too! I think an apple would be very cool--just get it right the first time so you don't have to clean up that splash again & again! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the apple suggestion- I love how kids are always thinking outside normal parameters. I, of course, not being a photographer, don't see any noise- unless you are referring to fuzzy edges... if so, I like that contrast with the sharp splashes. At first I thought that was wine and a was shocked that you would do something that could stain. LOL sis. I especially like that you involved Miriam in the process. Audrey was quite involved with my last body of work (mostly b/c she was just around and REALLY wanted to help). And she was so proud of herself, even walking Ellie around at the show pointing out "her art." I bet Miriam felt just as important. Make sure she sees the final product of her handy work.

    ReplyDelete